Friday, February 17, 2012

If you want it, GO GET IT!!



"Don't ever wait for a man to ask you out, you ask him out." - My Mother

So it was a typical morning. Woke up, had my coffee, showered, went to work. No big D. It was lunch time, and it was a slow morning. I was standing around, watching highlights of Michael Jordan's career (HAPPY BIRTHDAY OLD MAN!) and something caught my eye. It was a man, and he was very attractive. I gazed in his direction, snapped out of it, and went to the bathroom. While I was washing my hands I thought to myself, "Why aren't people more forward?" Personally I would love for someone to randomly approach me and tell me something they are thinking. I talked to a few people at work and it just seemed to me that in doing so these days it comes off as being a little socially awkward. People may think you're what they call, a creep. But, why? What is wrong with pursuing something that you want?

I decided to break the social mold society has formed.. I decided I was going to approach this man. What was the worst that could happen, he has a girlfriend? he says no? What was there to loose, I was probably never going to see him again anyway. My hands got all clammy, my heart beat picked up its pace, and to be honest I was perspirating more than usual, but I was going to do this. This man got up to leave, and I froze. I hesitated, I was nervous. However, now that I made such a big deal about people just doing the norm. I had to follow through. By this time, he was out the door. Without thinking, I ran out after him and shouted across the parking lot "EXCUSE ME SIR!" he turned around and politely asked if he had forgotten something. I smiled and replied, "No, but I did, I forgot to ask for your number." I proceeded to shake his hand, and introduce myself. I asked if he had a girlfriend. To my surprise he said... "NO :)" I than asked him if I could take him on a date. We laughed, exchanged numbers and I continued on with my day.

Doing this was a great feeling. I wish people would start going after what they want, making changes when something doesn't exactly work, speak on how they really feel and not just say what the other person wants to hear. I am constantly repeating myself, but you are responsible for your happiness. I am NOT saying, this man is going to make me happy, but following through with my desire and pursuing a dinner with him will. It isn't 1932, It is 2012. It is attractive to have confidence, and it is necessary to take action in order to see change.

This challenge that I put myself up to was extremely rewarding. So why don't you try it? Even something small. If you like a lady's sweater, ask her where she got it. If you meet a man who is a fire man and you've always wanted to be one, ask him how he did it. You'll never know the answer is you don't ask the question. Stop worrying about what others will think. If I listened to the little voice in my head today vs. approaching the subject. I would of walked out of work, still with a writers block, convinced that someone I never met had a girlfriend and would of laughed at my offer to take him on a date. Stop holding back and standing on a ledge, jump, expand your wings and soar.

No comments:

Post a Comment